Sunday, November 13, 2022

Physical function of calcium in human body

Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body. About 99% of the body’s calcium is stored in bones, and the remaining 1% is found in blood, muscle, and other tissues.

The calcium in bones serves as a reservoir for calcium that is needed throughout the body. Structural component of bones and teeth; role in intracellular and hormonal secretion regulation, muscle contraction, blood clotting, and activation of some enzyme systems. Calcium also helps blood vessels move blood throughout the body and helps release hormones that affect many functions in human body.

Calcium is very essential for maintaining the tone and contractility of heart. Ca is antidotal to the depressant action of K.

Calcium also is the key factor in normal transmission of nerve impulses. The movement of calcium into nerve cells triggers the release of neurotransmitter at the junction between nerves.

Getting too little calcium can cause several conditions, including: osteoporosis, rickets, osteomalacia.

The body gets the calcium it needs in two ways. One is by eating foods or supplements that contain calcium, and the other is by drawing from calcium in the body. If one does not eat enough calcium-containing foods, the body will remove calcium from bones.
Physical function of calcium in human body

The Most Popular Posts

Food Safety Tech RSS

SciTechDaily RSS